This is a recap of things learned and discussed for a simple tech meetup focused on web design.
Date of the event: Feb. 9, 2013
Mentors: Jolo Santos (Senior UX developer, currently working for Citrusbyte) & Katherine Pe (Ruby on Rails developer, currently working for Assembla, Inc.)
Thanks to those who attended and to Arkhe Salcedo whose car is far from being dirty.
What we learned:
- HTML always starts with a Doctype declaration. We've seen quite a few sites that didn't have it. They still render properly on some modern browsers but usually not on IE as Arkhe mentioned.
- Use Photoshop for designing but do not start with a blank canvas. Download the PSD of the 1140 CSS grid framework.
- Semantic markup for layout, typography and forms.
- Why logos should use a heading (h1) and be replaced by an image using CSS (SEO reasons).
- Testing HTML and CSS using Firebug.
- Various SEO plugins for Chrome.
- Meta tags and basic rules.
- Some HTML5 tags like section and article.
- How to create a conventional blog layout using 1140 CSS grid framework.
- Workflow for designers: wireframing with Balsamiq and developing a style guide.
- Vimeo vs. Youtube Design: To shout or not to shout?
- Other interesting things that should not go into this blog.
- Learn HTML & CSS by Shay Howe
- Google’s Web Fundamentals Program
- Dive into HTML5 by Mark Pilgrim
- Code Academy HTML5 Course